Friday, December 21, 2007

what day is it again?

Is it really only three days until Christmas? It seems impossible to me. It seems as though everytime I look at the calendar I am suprised again to see that it actually is December. I don't have any of the normal external cues to tell me that Christmas is approaching. I don't have the cold weather (although I hear in Atlanta its been above 70), I don't see Christmas lights on houses, I don't hear Christmas music every time I turn on the radio, and I haven't even put any decorations up at my own house (they are a bit hard to come by here). I will say that I'm glad to be away from some of the craziness of the holiday season but the truth is that I miss parts of it too. Its fun to see the lights, and to go shopping for presents to give to family and friends. And all that good traditional holiday food! That I will definitely miss! What I will miss the most is spending time with family. Earlier this week I made gingerbread cookies and that helped me to get into the holiday spirit but its still not the same. To me it still feels like Christmas in July. Maybe that's a good thing though . . . I pray that this year I will experience Christmas in a new way. Without all the other busyness going on around me I will be able to focus on the real reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Julia

Just want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New year! You are doing God's work in Africa. Bless your heart.

PS ~ I just happened to run across your blog after posting a new comment on my own. Feel free to visit it.

www.thewriteblogg@blogspot.com

Peace to you.

JD Pearce

Ashley said...

I hope you had a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! Praise God for new years. I can't believe how difficult it is to see Jesus in the American culture. There is no contentment, only a hunger for more stuff and money to satisfy. The people are so needy for affirmation and recognition and status that they will pay any price for it. When will Jesus satisfy us? It's really a different place for our hearts to go. I hope we'll chat soon. Love you and miss you!

Jamie Lanier said...

Hi Julia! Let me introduce myself...I live in your house!!! I'm that Jamie person! My two kids are Luke and Micah. They live in the room on the left upstairs, and the room on the right (was it your craft room?) is their play room. We love it here. God is restoring us here. Luke calls it our Morningside House. So, that it is! I am so glad to read about your work and your heart. Your parents and your sister and niece were just here. It was great to meet them and I was so grateful because now I've got your picture on my fridge, and I will pray for you when I see it.

Anonymous said...

Julia, with my limited computer skills I just discovered how I was to keep up with you. ]

So sorry to hear of you Granddaddy's passing. Thankful he knew the Lord.

I keep you in my prayers. Give Mike and Lyndal a hug for me.

Hope all is great for you in the new yr.

In His love, Grace