Monday, November 24, 2008

much to give thanks for . . .

This is an entry I never thought I would write, nor would ever want to have to write. Some of you reading this may have already heard the news through a prayer chain or email. I wanted to post something here to let anyone else know and also, selfishly, to have as many people praying for me as I possibly can.

This past Friday evening my roommate Meagan and I were at home when five armed men broke into the house around 8:30. They threatened us, demanded money (which we didn't have much of anyway), took all of our electronics, camera, etc and then locked us in a bedroom as they went through the rest of the house to find anything else they might want to take. Once we were sure that they had gone we went to the neighbors to get help, made a report with the police and eventually went to the home of trusted friends who welcomed us in like we were their own family.


While this was certainly a terrifying experience there are many things I can be thankful for:

  • First and foremost is the fact that we were not physically harmed in any way. It is clearly a miracle of God that we were not injured.
  • I initially thought that they had taken my passport and knowing that I have a ticket to fly home on December 8th I was worried that I would have to delay my trip home as I went through the process of getting a new passport. The next morning when we went back to the house to gather some of our things I found my passport! It was not in the place where I normally kept it and was therefore safe and sound sitting under a basket on top of the dresser.
  • Even though my phone was taken, Meagan had accidentally left hers at the office that day, so once we were able to get to the office we were able to get in contact with everyone that we needed. (This age of cell phones has caused me to neglect committing any phone numbers to memory)
  • We knew that we had a safe place to go and felt comfortable calling our friends at 11:30pm to come and pick us up (it was pretty late by the time we finished the reports with the police and got to Meagan's phone)
  • We have both been so well loved and cared for by the Body of Christ here in Arusha and from our home communities in America
  • I have been able to sleep very well the past 2 nights and have not had any bad dreams
  • So many people who have been praying
I know that my list will continue to grow as I continue to go through the process of healing from this horrible event.

I wanted you all to know what had happened, but most importantly to know that I am safe and unharmed. Please do continue to pray for me and Meagan as we deal with the feelings and emotions that come along with an experience like this. We are also praying that somehow the things that were stolen would be restored to us. I know it would take a miracle but its nothing God can't handle!

11 comments:

Lisa Leeper said...

We continue to pray for you here stateside. It's interesting to me how often Abba has brought you two to my mind over the past few days since hearing your news. Glory to God for all the reasons for thanksgiving, especially for your found passport. Will keep you in my prayers. SO thankful you are safe. Sweet of Jesus to guard your sleep!

Love to you both,

Lisa

Historian said...

I am so glad you and your roommate are both unharmed!

And I will be praying for you both, and giving God many thanks for protecting you through all of this.

~Rachel Ayers

Kelley said...

Julia,

Praying hard for you. I love you and can't stand the thought of something so scary happening. Praise the Lord for His protection of you both!

love you!
Kelley

John West said...

Julia,
Wow! I'm so glad you're safe! I know it seems trivial, but what are the chances you'd get any of the stolen stuff back? And, um, if you can't, what kind of camera do you want for Christmas? I'm serious. Julia without a camera is like me without a computer. Give me a couple of camera choices, and tell me how I can get it to you (or should I just make it possible somehow for you to get it yourself?).

Anonymous said...

Julia,
I am so thankful that you are okay. I have been praying for you both ever since I heard. Keep me updated on how things go. I love you!
Love,
Beth

Pilgrim Family said...

Julie, I am so sorry to hear this!!! I feel like crying every time I think of you having to go through this experience but I also feel like crying when I think of how much the Lord protected you!!! I am so glad you are safe and had good friends around you to take care of you both physically and emotionally. May the Lord surround you with this peace and knowledge of his goodness. I love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

wow indeed. thanks for sharing the news. glad to hear fruit is coming from it.

ErinStacy said...

Girl, I have no idea what to even say. I spoke to Pam that night and she told me and my heart just crumbled for you and the fear that must have ragged through you.

You and Meagan are absolutely in my prayers. I miss you girls.

ErinStacy

Cameron said...

First, Hallelujah. Only followers of Christ can understand. Second, the wounds in our hearts caused by your trauma continue to drive us to prayer. Julia, as a dear daughter (for twenty years, anyway), we love you deeply and are grateful that you are whole and soon home. We are asking our Father to replace the memories which give you pause with those which allow praise. Hugs soon, Precious. Love you both.

The Wyatts said...

Julia, we have been praying for you since we heard the news. I'm so thankful you have been able to sleep okay. I will pray that continues. I love you and can't wait to see you next month!

Ashley said...

Julia, I just read your news today. I am so thankful that you and Megan are safe. Thank you Lord for protecting my friend. And like John West said, please let us know what you are missing, and we can find a way to restore that for you. Julia, I miss you! I am so PROUD to call you my friend. May God send more blessings to you and your ministry!