Tuesday, October 6, 2009

simple pleasures

Some of you may know that I've been trying to live a gluten and dairy-free life for the past few years. As much of a challenge as that is in America, it has been much more of a challenge living in Tanzania. I've found some ways to adapt and adjust my diet, but the most difficult thing for me has been that I have to cook and bake so much of what I eat. There are not many "convenience foods" available for me so I have to make it all myself.

Not too long ago I bought a used stand mixer (like the Kitchen-Aid mixer that is common in America) from a missionary family who was moving back to New Zealand. This has made my life SO MUCH EASIER! Baking is no longer as time consuming for me and requires less of my own elbow grease. I even ventured into the world of gluten-free sandwich bread, and the results were amazing! I couldn't even believe how good the bread was when it came out of the oven. I would even say that its better than some wheat breads I've had in the past. I'm including a picture here so you too can be amazed!

Looks good, doesn't it? Hard to believe its gluten-free.
I've also recently found someone who makes yogurt and cheese from goat milk. That's pretty exciting in my world!

These little things have made such a big difference to me in the past few weeks. I'm so glad that God cares about these little details in my life too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia!
Fun to see your pictures. Hey, I am definitely going to need that GF bread recipe! It looks amazing!!!
Annie

alida said...

love it!! i recently discovered i can eat spelt bread! it is so delicious and such a far cry from the super heavy rice bread. very happy you made lovely bread. people just do not understand what a piece of bread can mean... :-)