Monday, October 8, 2007

adjustments

Life always requires adjustments in one form or another. Since arriving in Tanzania last Thursday night I've had to make quite a few. Here's what I've had to try to adjust to so far:

~a time zone seven zones away from what my body is accustomed to
~driving on the other side of the road (I haven't actually gotten behind the wheel yet, but it won't be long)
~sleeping under a mosquito net every night
~simple errands taking a lot longer than what I expect
~being a minority
~not understanding the language (yet)
~always having at least a little bit of dust on me
~spending time with people taking importance over "productivity"
~new roommates (including the gecko that seems to live in the vent above my bedroom window, since he eats mosquitoes I think I'll let him stay)

This gives you a little bit of an idea of what my life is this first week in Africa. I'm really enjoying myself although things are not always easy. Keep praying for me as I continue to adjust!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky! I want a mosquito eating roommate!

Now... how about some pictures!?

T-10 days till romania!

Scott said...

sounds like an adventure already...glad you made it there safely

alida said...

i think it is safe to say we are "african sisters" - i completely "get" all of your adjustments. the hardest for me is letting go of the "productivity" part - it is in my dutch genes...